The Tholsel (Toll Stall – a place where payments were made for the right of privilege or passage) was designed by William Kent, a London architect who had studied with Sir Christopher Wren. It was built in 1749 on the site of the medieval market cross of 1320. The original timber turret was replaced at the end of the 18th century (when the foundations subsided) by the current masonry cupola. The bell in the cupola is reputed to be the bell of the town’s medieval church of St. Michael. During the Battle of Ross in 1798 the Tholsel was the Main Guard for the Crown forces. The Tholsel is now the offices of New Ross Municipal District. The mace of King Edward III (1374) and the mace of King Charles II (1699) are preserved in the Tholsel and displayed during civic events. In 2021 under the Destination Towns project funded by Failte Ireland and Wexford County Council, new light was brought to the streets of New Ross with the illumination of the Tholsel. A range of different colour lights can be switched on to celebrate or support events and causes. Window boxes which bring colour in the summer to the building and to the town, were crafted by Gate craft featuring New Ross crests created by Powers foundry.