Want to start your week off with a family dinner that can be sourced locally and packed with flavour…..Then this stuffed & rolled chicken breast recipe filled with sausage & cheese stuffing will be going on your permanent dinner rotation.
– Shopping List
For the Stuffing
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 150 g of butter
- Bag of fresh bread crumb
- 2 tea spoons of mixed herbs
- 150g of sundried tomatoes
- 6 Cumberland sausage
- 250g cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice
For the Ballotine (Feeds 4 people)
- 6 thick rashers
- 3 chicken fillets
– Cooking Steps
1) Fry the Sausages…. When cooked, put them straight into the food processor with the sundried tomatoes, don’t over do it, we want to keep it chunky!
2) The Stuffing….. In a pot, cook the onions with butter and herbs on a medium heat and when onions are fully softened you can add the bread crumbs, keep on stirring for a few minutes, Now you can add the sausage mix, stir a bit more to obtain a good mix all together.
(Set it aside and let mix cool down for 10 min)
3) Preheat the oven at 185 degrees
4) Butterfly the chicken fillets….First you’re going to cut the chicken breasts in half – but not all the way through. This method is called butterflying the chicken breast. So you start at the thicker side of the chicken and cut straight through the middle until you almost get to the other side., but not all the way. Now open the chicken breast so it lies flat on your board.
5) Ready to start rolling….Lay down some cooking foil but keep it attached to the roll of foil then place down your rashers side by side, **Make sure to leave enough space on either end so as you can squeeze your roll when rolling. Put the 3 chicken fillets opened on top of the rashers, side by side Season the chickens fillets, put the cheese on the fillets, then lay the stuffing on top of the cheese. Roll the ballotine! **at least 10 turns of foil to tide it up and squeeze it as much as you can.
6) Place in the oven cook for 40 minutes
7) Remove from oven….and allow to sit for at least 30 min before opening tinfoil!
We chose to served with this with creamy champ mash, mushrooms sauce, broccoli and carrots sautéed in butter.